Thursday, June 17, 2010

Well... mostly made it to the McLovin!

So.... went out for a great mexican meal in Redhook with the wife + daughter (Alma, for you NYC folks), relaxed atmosphere, rooftop view of the city (and shipping containers, it IS redhook for cristsakes). Nice evening all around. After some anniversary festivities, my wife fell asleep on my arm. Well, I did the only thing a caring husband could do in that situation, I fired up the McLovin!

I didn't have my glasses on, and the laptop was too far away to see the chat clearly, not to mention I was one handed, so if anyone tried to chat me I wasn't being rude, just incapable.

Started out a bit low in chips after getting blinded out for 40 mins, but not too bad. Got back to 3k fairly quickly, then got wonka to donate half of his stack with AA > AJo on an Ad Xd Xd board. Stayed pretty much in the top 10 for the rest of the game, can't really remember any other hands, just played TAG, position, situation.

Going towards the FT, I was getting SUPER tired (started swimming again). That kind of tired you get when you're physically spent and there is nothing that will keep you awake. I had decent chips (I think 2nd or so) so I planned on making the cash, then pretty much jamming away my stack to whoever wanted it most. I knocked out totenkopft (url?) for the bubble with a race 44 > KQ? or AQ? I think? then pretty quickly gave OhCaptain a double with KQ< AA. I actually thought about folding AQ, it's really tough to shove off your chips when every bone in your body says you're behind even when you're trying to get rid of them. It's kind of like bungee jumping, you need to take that first step into the abyss... I gave 2BA the rest of my chips (there was absolutely no question I was behind on that one, I'm glad I didn't suck out on him again) typed a quick gg, transferred my mincash to Captain, and über-crashed. 

Thanks again Cap, glad you put this on - hope you do it again!

*******

So... swimming. The last couple years have been pretty tough for me. My dad died from pancreatic cancer, and the whole ordeal really depressed me. I gained weight, drank a bit too much, was generally grouchy (for me, that is... which means I was only joking around 95% of the time instead of 100%). I pretty much stopped surfing, swimming or any other exercise. I finally looked in the mirror a couple weeks ago and decided I've had enough of that shit. Joined the Y down the street from my office and I've been swimming every other day for about 2 weeks now. The first couple times were brutal, but I'm starting to get back into the swing of it. I'm keeping it small for the moment at 5 200's (40 lengths) and adding a few every week until I can do a full workout again. In that time I've lost 10 lbs, and only need about 5 - 10 more to be back on an ideal weight. The weight didn't matter to me as much as the muscle mass. I've always been pretty thin, I still wear the same size I did in high school, but I've never had a tire flab like I do now. I feel a lot better, more alert, I sleep better... all the crap you don't realize you're missing without exercise.

*******

Poker... I've been quietly sneaking in a few sessions here and there, and generally enjoying poker again. I tilted off a huge portion of my BR over the last few months, and pretty much regret it. Nothing I can do about it now but rebuild. I started off with a couple sessions of 10NL to get my feet wet again (around 95bb/100 over 1k hands - lol) and have now moved myself up to 25NL. I'm going to stick with 25 and 50NL for a while until I'm comfortable enough to move to 100 again. I'm excluding myself completely from rush, I seem to tilt-monkey there way too much. Also been playing a few steps tourneys. Getting cold decked in the super turbos, so I switched to the step 1 18 mans. Won pretty much every one I've played recently. The fields at that level are generally pretty soft. Don't know if I'm going to go past the $26 ticket, as there's nothing much I want to play over that limit. I'm just doing this to have a little fun, no real direction in mind, so we'll see what happens...

*******

No comments:

Post a Comment