Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day in NYC

Slept in till 11, while my wife + daughter waited patiently for me to wake up (I had worked late on saturday so I'd be sure to have Sunday free). They gave me some flowers (which I could barely see with my bleary just waking up eyes) and sang a silly song (a tradition at any blaargh event!) then made me coffee and yogurt and berries (yum!).

I fixed up my wife's bike, hooked up the trailer bike to drag my daughter along, and we made our way across the williamsburg bridge, down lower manhattan and over to Battery park to find the labyrinth. It's a pretty secret spot right in the middle of thousands of tourists, it's unmarked and the gate looks like you shouldn't be in there. We passed it on the first try, but I knew the air races were going on, so we found a park by the water and watched the maniacs pull huge G's 30 ft off the water. It was ridiculous and amazing.

photo by redbull


We then rode back to the Governor's island ferry to go play artist mini golf (a bunch of artists designed the golf holes, been a trend since the 80's). Luckily we got there fairly late in the day, and only caught the tail end of this. Nothing like expecting a quiet day riding around a park and instead getting accosted by 14 year old pseudo punks. For the record, I have nothing against punks, I just hate the wannabe's... which at this stage in the game is pretty much everyone.... And when you get 50 punk bands together, chances are 49 of em will suck balls. And from what I heard that pretty much holds true.

photo by nycpix


After bashing golf balls around the ramshackle course, we made our way to the Brooklyn ferry, then rode up Bedford and back home. I still had energy, but my wife was pretty beat (she hasn't been on a bike in a year, and 20 miles in 90 deg heat is pushin it a bit).

Played a bit of 50NL, played pretty well, but running horribly under EV (-5BI under) and only ended -1/2 BI down for the night. Someday I'll have a hand hold up... someday....

All in all a great fathers day. Wish everyday could be like this.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day! Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should probably find some credits - I didn't take those... brain fart on my part.

    ... and yeah, awesome day. Been having some great weekends lately... about time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! That's my hood by battery park. What is this maze you speak of? Can you email me about it (highonpokr AT yahoo)?

    ReplyDelete