Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quietly rebuilding...

I quit caring. About poker, that is. It showed up in my results. Rather than practicing good BR management, I spewed huge chunks of ca$h in -EV (for me) games, playing beyond my BR. I used to be really careful about my bank roll. I realized a few weeks ago that I just didn't give a shit. Rather than playing to win, I was playing for entertainment. I became one of the folks I used to target.

I have a mission now. I proved to myself this month I can win at rush. Most of my spew was at the rush tables, and rush tends to magnify leaks. I still don't love the variance, but I no longer tilt off huge sums when I'm beat. I played some regular 6max tables last night and for the first time in a while I enjoyed it. I played to win. I folded AA when I was sure I was beat. I pushed for value, not variance. I didn't push the action unless I was way ahead. I beat up on obvious thieves. I quit when I got tired. I quickly got out of tables that weren't working for me. My biggest loss for the night was $7. My biggest pot won was $101. At 25NL. The nut cases are still out there, I'm happy to report.

I want that money I lost back. I have a carrot. There's a tenor sax I want to buy. I'm only going to use poker funds to get it. I've never withdrawn a cent from FT. It's time to enjoy the work I've put into this game. I'm about 1/4 of the way there.

Wish me luck :)

7 comments:

  1. Bad Blood and I were both pounding the 25PLO tables at Rush last night. Didn't see you, but I wasn't looking too hard. I too am trying to rebuild and so far it's looking good.

    Good luck with the sax. That was the second instrument I learned to play after the guitar.

    -DrC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still at NL, not PLO. Gonna lay off the rush thing and concentrate on 6max, I think that's where I'm most +EV. I've been limiting my time online - get in, do my thing, get out. I lose a lot of money playing tired.

    My 2nd instrument after guitar as well. Have a beat up '27 King and an Armstrong that's in decent shape, but it's time to upgrade to some modern keywork... do you still play?

    Going to see Ravi Coltrane in a few hours... NYC is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You suck! I SHALL come and take your remaining money in 25/Rush!!!! GL anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't bother waffles. The money will just end up in your ex's bank account so her boyfriend can use it to buy a butt hair weave. Your daughter will be super impressed with that...

    ...and thx bastin + mojo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of a quote I read: Never underestimate the malice of a saxophone player.

    /j.

    ReplyDelete