Wednesday, November 18, 2009

How would you play this?

Finally taking some small stabs at 25NL. things are still going pretty well here at casa BLAARGH. I find there are a lot fewer really weak spots at 25NL... 10NL is full of crazies. I'm trying to tighten up my game a bit to compensate, but below maybe too tight? Whaadaya think?

Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 374714

The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter



SB: $26.22

Hero (BB): $25.75

UTG: $11.02

MP: $5.00

CO: $5.83

BTN: $19.33

This is pretty early on in the session, MP has been pretty tight so far. I've been able to steal his blinds on every round. This is the first time I've seen him raise. I've been somewhat active and my numbers are high because I've gotten a few playable hands.

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with Q of clubs K of clubs

I get QKcc in the BB. So the question is... do I:

A) Balls 'o Steal: Shove for his shorty $5. 
B) Wimpasaurus: Call and see what happens on the flop
C) Why are you even playing this game???: Fold

A, I think he folds everything but TT+, maybe JJ+
B, I can probably put him in on any favorable flop, and get away from anything that looks stupid with minimal damage.
C. Well, he did seem pretty tight, but come on... I'm sooooooted! But he does have my range pretty much crushed the times he's not raising baby pairs, Unless he has an unlikely JQ or KJ

Which of these options is most +EV over time? If I shove and win, I get .25. If I shove and he calls, sometimes I'm racing with baby/mid pairs, lots of times I'm crushed by AQ, AK, AA, KK. Even though I have a Q and a K, those are still viable hands. Obviously a better read on him would be preferable... and maybe just folding is the most +EV because he folds his blinds so much....
For the most part I prefer aggression. I didn't include a rr to 2.50, as that would probably have the same effect as shoving and put him in control of the hand, plus it would commit me to the hand anyway if he shoves...

Pokerstove KQcc vs top 10% - actually seems pretty good....

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

 167,805,792  games     0.297 secs   565,002,666  games/sec

Board: 
Dead:  

equity win tie      pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 41.229%   36.70% 04.53%      61582773  7602597.50   { KcQc }
Hand 1: 58.771%   54.24% 04.53%      91017824  7602597.50   { 88+, ATs+, KJs+, QTs+, AJo+, KQo }



1 fold, MP raises to $0.75, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.50



Flop: ($1.60) 4 of hearts 3 of spades T of spades (2 players)

Hero checks, MP bets $1, Hero folds



Final Pot: $1.60

MP wins $1.52

(Rake: $0.08)


Yeah, I'm a big pussy. Fuck you. So what do you do?


5 comments:

  1. I for one call you a big pussy.. beyond that I can not say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is a standard line -- What's wrong with it? The rail is filled with players who wanted to be a hero. I like how you played it. There's nothing wrong with being a pussy once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'm just wondering what the best line is. You might be right, OOP to an UTG raise, decent but not great cards are all good reasons to not get too wrapped up in the hand.
    Just watched a Stox vid where Matt Bolt took the same line, so I guess that answers my question. I just don't want to be leaking $$ where I don't have to...
    Thanks MOJO. And thank you waffles, I live for your daily affirmations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not about to get pushed around by a short stack. put him aipf IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Disagree entirely with a call. This is an easy fold if he's a tight short stacker implementing good short stack strategy. He either has you crushed (AQ+, QQ+) or flipping (22+). This is an easy fold, because there are next to no implied odds by making that call. What's the most you can win on the flop? $4.25? 18.5BBs! If a K or Q rolls of the flop, it's an auto call to his shove, or an auto push for you, right? Not necessarily, because he's only calling / pushing if he has you beat and your effective stack size is $5. That's why short stacks suck. Going after $5 with a "decent" hand is not worth it.

    Moreover, given the positioning, it's time for a table change. You cannot play the role of blind stealer with a short stack to act immediately after you. Granted, FT has recently solved this issue, but when they didn't, you're getting no value stealing because he'll start 3bet shoving. Moreover, if they're implementing proper SS strategy, you're either a coin flip for his stack, or you're a big dog. Change tables and get a full stack to your left instead.

    ReplyDelete